- 3 slices day-old Italian bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/3 cup Coca-Cola mixed with 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or a combination of veal and pork
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley mixed with 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided, plus additional if desired
- 2 cans (about 14 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained and divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 3 to 4 cups cooked spaghetti
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Soak bread in Coca-Cola mixture and heat in microwave on HIGH 30 seconds. Mash with a fork.
- Mix ground beef, onion, herb mixture, egg, and 1 cup Parmesan cheese together in large mixing bowl; add mashed bread. Mix until incorporated. From meat mixture into 12 large or 18 smaller meatballs; refrigerate 15 to 30 minutes to firm.
- Coat large skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add meatballs; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from heat.
- Pour two thirds of tomatoes over the bottom of large rectangular baking dish. Season with half of oregano. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Gently set meatballs in rows 1/2 inch apart in prepared dish. Drixxle with remaining tomatoes; sprinkle with remaining oregano and Parmesan cheese. Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Serve over cooked spaghetti. Garnish with additional cheese, if desired.