- 1 package (8 ounces) pitted dates
- 1 ¼ cups Coca-Cola
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Chop dates. Heat Coca-Cola to boiling. Remove from heat and stir in dates, mixing very well.
- Stir in brown sugar and oil. Let cool while preparing other ingredients. Lightly spoon flour into cup to measure. Stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to dates, mixing thoroughly. Stir in egg, vanilla, and nuts.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350°F oven for about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan, set on rock, 20 minutes.
- Remove loaf from pan, set on rack, top side up. When cold, wrap and store overnight before slicing.