- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced eggplant
- 1/3 cup diced shallots or onion
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers with juice
- 1/2 cup red peppadew peppers, chopped with 2 tablespoons juice (may substitute with roasted red peppers)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup Coca-Cola
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper
- Toasted baguette slices
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and shallots; cook about 6 minutes or until richly golden, stirring often. Add olives, capers and peppadew peppers with their juices; continue stirring about 5 minutes, or until most liquid has evaporated.
- When the mixture has reduced, add vinegar and Coca-Cola. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Reduce heat to low. Cook until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir several times during final cooking state. Serve with warm or cold on toasted baguette slices.