- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1/2-pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) Coca-Cola
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2-pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown chicken; remove to plate. Brown sausage; stirring occasionally to break up meat.
- Once sausage is browned, drain fat and return chicken to pan. Add green pepper and onion, cook, and stir until softened. Add tomatoes and their juice, rice, garlic, salt, black pepper, and Coca-Cola. Increase to high heat and bring to a boil. Once mixture is boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in peas and shrimp. Cook an additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.