Can we all agree that Cupcakes are a weakness? Not sure if it is more of a weakness than Cherry Coke though…
According to the Midwestern Moms blog and recipe, adding Cherry Coke to this cupcake recipe gives the cupcakes a slight cherry flavor while enriching the chocolate. Top with cherry buttercream frosting and a fresh cherry.
Here’s what you need for the cupcakes
· 1 Devil’s Food Cake Mix (make sure it has pudding in it)
· ¾ cup of Sour Cream
· ¾ cup of Vegetable Oil
· 3 Large Eggs – slightly beaten
· ½ cup of Cherry Coke
· 2 teaspoons of Cherry Extract
Here’s what you need for the Cherry Buttercream Frosting
· 2 sticks of Unsalted Butter
· 3-4 cups of Powdered Sugar, Sifted
· ¼ teaspoon Salt
· 1 tablespoon Cherry Extract
· Up to 4 tablespoons Milk
· Optional: Food Coloring Gel
Here’s how to make the cupcakes
1. In your mixer, mix the cake mix, sour cream,vegetable oil, eggs, soda and cherry extract until well blended.
2. Line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
3. Spoon the mixture into the liners. (Almost 3 tablespoons in each liner.)
4. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 18-20 minutes.
5. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing them to cool.
6. Add frosting when fully cooled.
Here’s how to make the Buttercream Frosting
1. Beat the butter for a few minutes using your mixer on medium speed.
2. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until blended.
3. Add the cherry extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons milk. Mix on medium speed for 3 minutes
4. If you need stiffer frosting, add the remaining sugar.
5. If you need thinner frosting, add the remaining milk.
6. Add your food coloring gel until you get the color desired. (optional)
Add your Cherry Flavoring to the frosting slowly. If can have a strong cherry flavor, so adjust to your liking.