What you’ll need
· ¼cup balsamic vinegar
· 2 tablespoons Coca-Cola
· Garlic powder, divided
· 6plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
· 12large fresh basil leaves, chopped
· ¼cup extra virgin olive oil emulsified* with 1 tablespoon Coca-Cola
· 1teaspoon salt
· Black pepper
· ¼cup (1/2 stick) softened butter
· 1French baguette, cut into 24 slices
· 12small balls fresh mozzarella cheese, cut in half**
· Fresh basil leaves
* To emulsify means to blend two or more unblendable substances such as vinegar and oil. This can easily be done with a whisk, hand blender, or food processor.
** If unavailable, may use an 8-ounce fresh mozzarella ball. Cut ball in quarters and slice each quarter into 6 slices, making 24 slices total.
How to make it
Bring vinegar, Coca-Cola and pinch of garlic powder to a boil over medium-high heat in small saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook about 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture is reduced to a syrup. Remove mixture from heat to cool.
Meanwhile, lightly toss tomatoes with chopped basil in medium bowl. Stir in emulsified oil/Coca-Cola and season with salt and pepper.
Microwave butter in small microwave-safe dish15 to 20 seconds. Spread baguette slices with butter and sprinkle lightly with garlic powder. Toast baguette slices on baking sheet under broiler about 1minute on each side until crisp. To serve, top bread slices with 1 heaping tablespoon of tomato/basil mixture and 2 cheese halves. Drizzle with cooled syrup and garnish with basil leaves.